Web Stories Thursday, February 29

SINGAPORE — After allegedly hitting a motorcycle along the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE) on Tuesday (Feb 6), 27-year-old Pua Yui Loon did not stop to render assistance, but instead fled to Malaysia immediately.

The accident resulted in the death of 22-year-old motorcyclist Joshua Chiam Chee Wai, and serious injuries to his 23-year-old female pillion rider Siti Noor Diyana Abdul Rahim.

Court documents did not state what these injuries were.

On Friday, Pua, a Malaysian, was charged over the accident. His charges are for:

  • Dangerous driving causing death
  • Dangerous driving causing grievous hurt
  • Failing to stop after an accident
  • Failing to report an accident within 24 hours
  • Failing to help the injured 

Court documents stated that Pua had allegedly driven dangerously along the BKE towards Woodlands Checkpoint and subsequently collided with the motorcycle.

In a statement on Thursday (Feb 8), the police said Pua allegedly fled to Malaysia after the incident and did not stop to help the injured or report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

The traffic police and Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) managed to ascertain the driver’s identity and his car’s vehicle registration number through ground inquiries, said the police.

Video footage from witnesses and cameras from the Land Transport Authority, ICA and police also helped, they added.

Pua was arrested when he tried to enter Singapore via Woodlands Checkpoint on Feb 7 at about 3.20pm.

On Friday, the prosecution sought to keep Pua in remand for a week as he was needed for a scene visit and to recover his vehicle in Malaysia.

The police are working with authorities in Malaysia to retrieve the car, added the prosecution.

Appearing in court via video-link as he is on remand, Pua said that he was driving straight and was uncertain if he had hit the motorcycle, or if the motorcycle had collided with him.

“When I went back, I checked my bumper (and) it was not damaged so I don’t know when the collision happened,” said Pua. “It was not that I didn’t want to help.”

He also asked the court if he could seek bail. In response, the judge said the prosecution can only grant him bail after investigations are completed.

Pua is expected to be back in court on Feb 16.

For dangerous driving causing death, Pua faces a jail term of two to eight years, and disqualification from driving all vehicles.

If found guilty of dangerous driving causing hurt, he can be jailed for between one and five years and be disqualified for driving all vehicles.

For failing to stop after an accident, failing to lodge a police report within 24 hours, and failing to assist the injured, Pua faces up to a S$1,000 fine, up to three months’ jail or both for each charge.


Leave A Reply

© 2024 The News Singapore. All Rights Reserved.