Earlier in the day, Mr Tan claimed he was the target of a “smear campaign” in recent days over his social media posts about “pretty girls”.
Without citing names or producing any proof, he also claimed that his “top opponent” is involved, along with the “editors of the mainstream media” and a women’s rights organisation.
However, a check by CNA on Mr Tan’s Facebook page at noon on Tuesday showed that the statement has since been amended to remove references to the “top opponent”.
Responding to questions from reporters on this, Mr Tan reiterated that these social media posts were uploaded and viewed by “more than 100,000” over a period of 10 years.
“During that time, I don’t have any objection. Suddenly, somebody … said ‘I feel uncomfortable’. But there are more than 100,000 people who watch the posts over 10 years. Why do you feel uncomfortable now?
“Initially, I thought that it is someone who just want to create problems for me … Later on, I realise that it is a concerted effort to smear me,” he said, adding that “the media (and) the editors are part of this arrangement”.