WASHINGTON: The White House said on Friday (Jan 19) that it was “seriously concerned” about reports a Palestinian-American teenager was killed by Israeli security forces in the occupied West Bank.
The American-born youth was 17 years old, the boy’s uncle told Reuters, adding that the incident occurred during clashes with the Israeli military that included stone-throwing by Palestinians.
The Palestinian official news agency WAFA said the youth had been killed by Israeli gunfire.
The Israeli military did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The White House National Security Spokesperson John Kirby said: “The information is scant at this time. We don’t have perfect context about exactly what happened here.”
PALESTINIANS KILLED IN ISRAELI RAID IN TULKAREM
People gathered on Friday in the West Bank city of Tulkarem to mourn six of eight Palestinians killed during an Israeli raid on the city and its refugee camp.
Israeli forces withdrew from Tulkarem refugee camp earlier on Friday, leaving mass destruction in its wake.
According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, eight Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire in Tulkarem over the past two days. Houses and streets were reduced to rubble and essential utilities such as water and electricity were severely disrupted.
The Israeli army has been raiding various locations across Tulkarem refugee camp for almost two days. In a post on X, it said Israeli forces were conducting anti-terror operations in the camp and armed fighters remained at large.
The West Bank has experienced a surge in violence since Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza erupted on October 7.
The Palestinian Health Ministry says Israeli forces have killed 367 Palestinians in the West Bank during that time.